Thursday, September 27, 2007

On Family

What/who do you think of when you think about your "family"?

Me, I think of my sister, my mom, my dad and my grandmother. Of course, I have cousins, aunties, uncles as well, bu they are not really part of my everyday life.

In Africa, the definition of family is much broader. Few families live only with their direct relatives. Usually, the people living in a household are extended family, and taking care of them seems to be the most normal thing. Statistically, every Zambian has lost at least one family member due to AIDS or Malaria. That means that there are many orphans or half orphans that need to be taken care of. Three to four generations living in one house is normal. The respect of age is a thing that strikes me most. 4 years old take care of 2 years old, 6 years old take care of 4 year old, and so on. Younger family members have to serve the older ones, orders are being obeyed without questions.
The bond people have to their family is much tighter than in western culture. Children usually move out when they get married, not before. They couldn't even if they wanted too.
If a men wants to get married to a women, he has to ask the parents for permission and save up enough money to pay the brides family a suiting price. These bridal price can be some cattle or money or other material gifts. But we shouldn't label this tradition as "buying a wife", since it has been in african culture for centuries and is more the proof that the man will be able to take care of his wife and future family.
Getting to know family life and traditions is probably one of the best experiences of my stay here in Zambia. I love staying with my host family, sharing the same food with them and learning about their way of living!

No comments: